Samantha’s Birth Story

My water broke around 2:30 p.m. when we were out for lunch. Previously discussed with my midwife, we would arrive at the hospital about 4-5 hours after this happened. She later stated that since non medicated natural birth was my plan, that 10hours would be okay since I was strepB negative. That put us at the hospital around 1:30 a.m.

I was not having any contractions or labor signs other than the premature rupture of membranes (PROM). Prior to arriving to the hospital we walked several times, used my breast pump (natural release of oxytocin), walking up and down stairs…nothing really worked. The breast pump did bring on long contractions but nothing worth noting and recording.

When we arrived at the hospital, we settled into triage for a short while before going into the birthing suite. The nurse in triage confirmed my water broke and checked me for effacement and dilation. If I remember correctly, I was still 1-2cm and 50% effaced just like I was at my prior midwife appointment.

Settled in to the birthing suite around 2:00-3:00 a.m. we used the time to get some sleep. The nurse we had we REALLY disliked. She was going to do everything possible to go against my birth plan starting with continuous monitoring. I was tired, so whatever! The lady even kept bringing up pitocin EVERY time she was in my room (every hour). Finally, the new shift came on and we had a young nurse who took me off the monitors but insisted I needed a saline lock. I figured I wouldn’t win this one because I was in a hospital setting, again…whatever.

My midwife came in checked me when she got to the hospital – I was 4-5 cm. I was getting small consistent contractions at this point. We would walk the halls for 20 minutes, come back and do the breast pump for 15
minutes, bounce and houla on the exercise ball and then it was time to hop back on the monitors. We did this for hours. Later in the afternoon, my midwife came back and no progression was made. She suggested to finish breaking my bag of water to see if that helped at all.

Ali, my midwife, was very understanding of our plan to stay away from as many interventions as possible. She explained to me that right now I had every odd against my birth plan. We wanted to go right, but my plan was going the complete opposite way. I tried to stay positive through the experience. After breaking my water completely my contractions did get stronger and very regular but I did not dilate any further. We stayed like this through the night (and shift change). I had met all the midwifes except one before labor so I was comfortable with the change. Of course the midwife that was on shift was the one I never had met.

She came in at some point Tuesday and recommended the pitocin. I didn’t have much of an option at this point, because things were getting unsafe for both Samantha and me. Actually I was pretty lucky they let me go the length of time without it (we were now at about 30+ hours after my water breaking on Sunday). I knew getting the pitocin, I was probably going to need either a pain medication or an epidural. I opted for the mild pain medication first.

At some point Samantha became face up and I was having the WORST back labor. The pain medication allowed me to doze off in between my contractions but did not ease any sort of pain. After about twenty minutes, which I thought was hours, I opted for the epidural. I discussed this with my husband and doula because it was completely off my birth plan. I was going off of no sleep they both thought it was be a good opportunity to get sleep, so I got it.

As much as I can remember, I went to sleep for a short period of time and waking up in so much pain telling my doula I need to push. Don was out getting dinner for himself and my mom. They both were calling and texting Don to hurry back. The midwife came in and checked me. I was fully dilated but cervix wasn’t quite thinned out and she told me not to push or I could rupture my cervix. I fought this for a good amount of time. The pain in my back was crazy bad and it felt good to push so I didn’t resist what my body was doing.

I probably called the midwife a handful of times begging her to start pushing and finally the last time she said we could start. When I was pushing she would turn Samantha . We would take breaks and I would cry to Don I just want a csection, can I please just have a csection! He assured me we had gotten this far and that I could do it.

After three hours of pushing, they called in the on call OB to prep me for a c-section. We tried every pushing position known to man before he had gotten there. He came in and decided to push with me a few times. He assured me I was so close I could do it. He did opt to use the vacuum, but stated he would only try three times before we had to head to the OR. The first two rounds of pushing the vacuum slipped. The third and final round, I gave it EVERYTHING (that I didn’t have) to get her out. When her head came out there was a pressure release I felt, I knew I had to continue to push to get her shoulders out, another two pushes and she arrived safely onto my chest. Don decided he wanted to cut the cord and I just laid there in awe and exhaust.

Samantha Leigh Greenberg was born on April 29, 2014 at 7:25 p.m. Happy and Healthy!


The downfall to the the longest labor ever was my exhaustion. I also ended up with a third degree perineal tear which I honestly feel may be worse than a c-section incision (that’s just my opinion)!

Sorry it took me so long to blog about her birth. Hope you all enjoyed reading.



7 thoughts on “Samantha’s Birth Story

  1. Good job on pushing through mama! That’s a long time to labor! So happy for you and your sweet little family 🙂 Samantha is beautiful! Ugh, so sorry about your tear – I had a 2nd degree perineal tear and that was bad enough, I’m sure 3rd degree is that much worse ): It took forever to heal (it started to close then opened again when I stepped out of the shower.. um yeah ouch haha). Sending you healing vibes! :p

  2. Thanks for sharing! WOW! Expect the unexpected I guess..I feel as if it’s the running theme in most birth stories thus far. I am SOOO happy that you and Samantha pushed through (literally, for 3 HOURS!!!!) and all are healthy…I can see your Instagram feed here and she is just adorable! Congrats again and am so thankful for all that you have shared- it’s been such a pleasure being able to peak in at your pregnancy and now your family!! xox

  3. Holy birth story!! You are a superwoman. I’m sorry your birth didn’t go “as planned” but your baby girl is beautiful. I definitely know what it’s like to go against the plan. It sure sounds like your tear is worse than a c-section incision…I’m so sorry that you had to experience that. I hope it heals up so soon. Again, you are superwoman!

  4. I cannot believe how similar our birth stories are. Like, literally the same. Wow. I’m so glad everything worked out in the end. I know that’s the important part. It was hard for me too since I had this “plan” I thought would work…but it didn’t. It seemed like the complete opposite. She’s beautiful, btw. I can’t wait to see more photos 🙂 get rest and let your body heal. I had a terrible episotomy/tear and I’m still recovering. It has been horrible. Between ripped open stitches and infections twice, it’s been a long, long 5 weeks! Just let yourself heal and don’t push yourself. I hope yours is faster than mine. Take care hun and enjoy that beautiful baby girl. xoxo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s