I have had a stash of oatmeal in the cupboard for sometime now. I have been trying to think of many ways to get rid of it without wasting it. A friend of mine gave me a great and healthy apple and walnut oatmeal recipe ( which i will share) but if your like me, I need a change … I can’t eat the same thing every day. I get bored and then I find myself splurging on high calorie fast-food breakfast. I found a recipe to make cranberry oatmeal walnut muffins. Conveniently I had all the ingredients in the house so I made them :0)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled-oats
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray 12 standard muffin pan cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
2. Combine the oats and the milk in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture just to a boil, remove from the heat and stir in the butter until melted. Set aside to cool.
3. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and whisk to blend.
4. Add the eggs to the cooled oat mixture, stirring until blended. Add the oat mixture to the flour mixture, and stir just until blended. Stir in the cranberries and nuts. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in to the center comes out clean. Set pan on a wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the pan and set on rack to cool.
Any kind of berries would work. I almost used blueberries but my taste buds were definitely calling the fruity zing from the cranberry.
The muffin was not bland line a bran muffin, you can definitely taste the oatmeal and the cranberries but still has a ‘healthy’ taste to it.
Changes for my next batch: Less walnuts, More Cranberries, Maybe add cinnamon OR orange zest.
ENJOY ! I would love to know YOUR opinion if you make them…
Recipe adapted from here